Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11

You can't really go anywhere right now without hearing about the tragedy that befell our country on 9/11/01. I remember that day so clearly, which is amazing because I remember very little from the past with this much clarity. I was traveling down I-35W in Fort Worth, getting close to downtown when the radio station I was listening to told us of breaking news about the first plane hitting one of the World Trade Center towers. Of course, at that time no one had any idea that it was just the beginning of many tragedies that would occur that day. And no one knew that this was just the beginning of a huge terrorist attack on our country. I immediately got on the phone to my parents because I thought they would want to turn on the TV to see what was happening. I was in my 1st year of teaching, and this particular week I was in training. I arrived at the training location just a few minutes after the 1st news report had been made, and just in time to see the news coverage of the 2nd plane flying into the other tower. My colleagues and I stood and watched this tragedy unfold before our eyes. I remember that one of the women there was immediately concerned because her father was scheduled on an American flight from the East Coast that morning and she couldn't get a hold of him to make sure he was alright. (Fortunately, he was on another flight that morning.) The trainers, despite all that was going on, did try to move forward with our training, even thought I think everyone there wanted to see what was happening in NYC. On every break, and throughout the lunch hour, most of us were there with the TV on taking in all of the information being given to us and wondering what the future was going to bring. We watched in horror as the towers fell, and prayed for all those who hadn't escaped. Later in the day, the superintendent sent word that all staff were to return to their individual campuses to help handle things in their own classes. Parents were coming to the schools to take their children home early and there was a lot of confusion, so everyone was needed to make sure things stayed as normal and calm for the children as possible. I don't really think my students understood the magnitude of what happened that day. I'm not even sure if I fully comprehend all of the ramifications of what happened that day. What I do know is that I cried. I didn't know anyone who died in this tragedy, but I cried for each and every one of them and their families.

Several weeks ago, I heard an ad on the radio for the new movie about that day, and something that was said triggered the same emotions I felt 5 years ago, and , again, I found myself in tears as I was driving. Sometimes it amazes me, how something that is so far removed from your personal life can so deeply move you.

Toady, on this 5th anniversary of that tragic day, I want to remember all those who perished and their families. I want them to know that they are still in our thoughts and that they will always be remembered.

No comments: